Becoming a Better Listener Will Make You a More Effective Communicator.
In business, our communications are often goal-focused; we are trying to influence, persuade, motivate, inspire or negotiate.
The best way to ensure your messaging is accurate and effective is to work on your listening skills.
Top tips for raising your listening skills:
- Maintain strong eye contact with the speaker.
- Be aware of outside distractions and then actively work on ignoring them.
- Watch their body language.
- If appropriate, take notes.
- Challenge yourself not to interrupt. Allow them to speak until they have finished.
- Work at not forming a response while they are still speaking.
- Lean in and nod to keep engaged.
A good listener becomes an effective speaker with a clearer, more compelling message.