How to Speak Clearly While Wearing a Mask.
Communicating while wearing a mask is part of our everyday life.
Whether business or social, we speak to communicate, but masks can impede our speech.
- muffle the sound of our voices
- may lead us to mumble due to closeness of fabric
- may alter our breathing
- block out our lips so others cannot “lip read” to help them
- cut out half of all facial expressions.
How to work with these limitations:
- face the person and make good eye contact
- project your voice or raise your volume slightly. Do not shout; it will only distort your words.
- slow down your rate of speech
- work on active listening and focusing on the speaker
- use hand gestures and body language to illuminate your words
- ask follow-up questions or paraphrase to ensure you heard them correctly
- if possible, move to a quieter environment.