How to Give a 2020 Thanksgiving Toast.
Thanksgiving is a holiday made to be toasted. It is filled with family, fun, and food. However, the 2020 version of the holiday will probably be enjoyed around a laptop rather than a crowded table.
So how do we give a pandemic-appropriate toast when families are not together?
When giving a toast, keep in mind the 3 S’s: Keep it short. Keep it simple. Keep it sincere.
- For your Zoom toast, you may need to sit. This is fine, but make sure you have your toasting glass at hand.
- Start by welcoming everyone who is joining you and the group who are around your table. You may need to introduce yourself if the larger group includes new members.
- Take a moment to reflect on the year gone past. Acknowledge the hardships and losses the family may have suffered.
- Then look ahead and be positive. Give thanks for the love and strength in your family group and for all the things for which you are grateful.
- End by raising your glass and toasting the holiday. “Here’s to the Brown and Greene families. Next year, may we be able to celebrate together.”